Monday, August 17, 2009

MARVEL COMICS PRESENTS SPIDERMAN



****1/2
This particular issue of Spider-Man is one of my favorites that I have in my collection. Not because of the story line, but more because of the fact that it is one of the more collectible issues in my collection. It is a Mini Comic.

It's a reprint of a classic comic book from 1963. Scripted by Stan the man himself and drawn by Steve Ditko with a bonus tale in the back of the book drawn by Jack Kirby. This Mini-mag has survived in my collection from the very first week that I began collecting. So there is quite a bit of sentiment along with this book.

However, all sentiment aside, I would have to say that I love the way Stan and Steve and Jack create flow in this book with simplistic framing, great artistry and classic story-telling that formed the Marvel empire. The only thing that I don't like about this comic is the portrayal of Spidey. Growing up with the comics I had, Spidey was always a jokester, but always had a set of morals about him. Now I know that Spider-Man has evolved over his time, but Spider-Man in this comic is cocky, arrogant, quick to anger and almost villanous as he pesters the Fantastic Four. In this story, I can see where J. Jonah Jameson is coming from with his opinion that Spider-Man is nothing but a punk criminal. Good Spidey or mean Spidey, the story telling and artistry in this book pulls a four and a half stars from five! This one rocks!

No comments:

Post a Comment