Monday, August 24, 2009

CAPTAIN AMERICA #211


***1/2
This tale of the Captain goes back to July 1977, when Captain America was written and drawn all by one man, the legendary Jack Kirby. Pitted against the Arnim Zola in one of the Skull's master plans to bring back to life the brain of one of the higher ranking officers in the Reich. They don't tell which officer's brain they have to bring back to life, and though I could venture a guess, I'm not going to for fear that I might be wrong by the time I pick up the next issue, also in my collection.

Kirby does a wonderful job with this issue. I always did like the solidity of Kirby's portrayal of Cap, 100% rugged soldier. I also like the way the older stories are written. The writers typically used more dialogue than was necessary. The characters would speak the detail of the scene, which actually allowed you to fill in the missing parts of the picture in your mind and even give the artwork a sense of motion.

It seems more and more that the particular art of storytelling is becoming lost, so I do find it refreshing to read the older comics and see that attention to the art and the story. Too often, the concentration is more on the artwork in the newer comics and you can find yourself "reading" a full comic book in about five minutes. That's why it's nice to go back and find one of the older ones that has a story to tell! I give this issue a 3 1/2 and a thumbs up to Kirby for being a good storyteller. Thank you, Jack.

No comments:

Post a Comment